Heat Safety for the Elderly
Being exposed to excessive sun and heat isn’t healthy for anyone, but especially the elderly. To lower your risk of heat-related illnesses there are many steps you can take…
- Stay hydrated – but stay away from alcohol and caffeine!
- Use fans or air conditioning if you can – if not, keep your shades closed and open your windows at night
- If your house is hot, take a break during the day and go out somewhere like the movie theater or library – they will have air conditioning!
- Dress appropriately – cotton can often be cooler than synthetic materials
- Don’t exercise or do excessive activity outside in the heat
- Avoid crowded places – go out when it isn’t rush-hour!
Stay safe but don’t forget to enjoy every minute of your summer!